Light is both a natural and blockhead-made thing.
Light can partially penetrate into solid, non-transparent blocks, allowing the player to see what's "buried" there. How far it penetrates is determined by the strength of the light. Even the strongest light (full daylight) cannot penetrate more than 4-5 blocks deep and quickly fades to black after that.
Light will illuminate the far side of solid blocks, although it will tend to be diminished more than normal for that distance.
Some naturally spawned objects such as unmined gold ore may appear to give off light. Until a blockhead uncovers the area where it is, they don't shine on their own. If a light source uncovers gold ore and then is removed, it will still give off light.
A blockhead seems to give off a little light (not much but a player may still move them about 2 blocks at a time).
Natural Light SourcesEdit
- Sun, Moon, Stars
- Chilli Plant (when mature)
- Gold Nugget (before it is mined)
- Time Crystal (before it is mined)
- Ice Torch (natural because it can't be crafted)
- Portal, Trade Portal (spawned at origin)
Artificial Light SourcesEdit
- Basic Torch
- Oil Lantern
- Steel Lantern, Steel Downlight, Steel Uplight
- Campfire, Kiln, Furnace, Metalwork Bench, Steam Generator
- Portal, Trade Portal